There is a mandatory Orientation in mid-November. There will be a “returner” Orientation for students who participated last year.
Prior to the Job Shadow visit…
- If students are matched, they are expected to participate in the program. If, for any reason, students cannot participate after being matched, notify ACDC immediately so we can match another student.
- Contact the alumni mentor to schedule a convenient job shadow date.
- Research the organization and prepare a list of questions to ask the alumni host.
- Be sure to respond to all correspondence from the alumni mentor in a timely manner.
- Plan transportation and allow plenty of time for traffic, etc.
During the Job Shadow visit…
- Bring a padfolio with a notebook, pen, and copies of your resume.
- Dress and speak professionally.
- Arrive on time (or 5 minutes early).
- Spend the day actively listening, learning, asking relevant questions, and taking notes.
- Ask for business cards of anyone you meet with during the day so you can follow up with them.
- Take some photos of you and your alumni host in front of a company sign and during other activities.
After the Job Shadow day…
- Send thank you notes to your alumni host and anyone else you met during the Job Shadow day.
- E-mail photos to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can create an online album.
For more information, e-mail Kim Nickolenko, Director of Internships, or call 203-254-4081.